Ceramics Program Overview
The practice of ceramics is oftentimes described as therapeutic and relaxing. While working with clay, your mind and body benefit by working together to practice your patience, persistence, consciousness, and commitment, alongside your ability to create The physicality and limitless potential for creativity engages the muscles, fine motor skills, vision, and imagination while simultaneously allowing you to shape the clay. Our program is packed with valuable information through passion and experience in hopes to inspire your child and promote endless creativity. Clay offers a special and personal experience that not only leaves a lasting impression, but yields innovative and beautiful works of art that are unique to each person.
This program has been thoughtfully created to allow our students to learn and understand the fundamental skills required to work with clay as a material. With easy to understand, yet detailed lessons, the students will achieve each milestone through manageable projects that will not only gradually challenge them, but also allow them to feel a sense of pride and accomplishment.
Throughout the Ceramics Program, students will have the opportunity to work with several variations of clay such as polymers or “oven bake” clay, air dry clay, plastilline (oil and wax based clay), and although not currently available but in the near future, traditional kiln fired clay. This exposure to different variations of this medium is important for developing skillful, passionate, and knowledgeable artists and makers.
Ceramics Program Details
WE DO NOT DO CERAMICS DROP IN AND WE DO NOT HAVE ADULTS’ CLASSES.
Program has been divided in three separate sections:
- Introduction Stage → Throughout this stage, students will learn the basics of clay manipulation and begin to learn about the different specialities.
- Discovery/Exploration Stage → In this stage, students will explore both pottery and sculpture. They will get the chance to work on different projects that will allow them to choose their speciality.
- Specialty Stage → In the speciality stage, students will refine their skills and work on more difficult specialty projects. This stage will be offered in a number of levels for each speciality.
Each class will be two hours in length and will be broken down as follows:
- 1 hour, 30 minutes for creation and development of projects.
- 20 mins of class to clean up their stations.
- Saturdays from 9:00-10:30 am, 10:30-12:00 pm 12:00-1:30 pm and 1:30-3:00 pm (once a week)