Evelia was first introduced to Fine Arts, specifically drawing and painting, as part of her formal teacher training in her home country of Mexico. After attaining her Bachelors of Education and Bachelors of Pedagogy from the University of Chapultepec, Evelia began to develop educational material for SEP, the Mexican Ministry of Education. While developing this material, she focused on the artistic expression of children through the Fine Arts. This was the beginning of her interest in art.
After deciding to pursue her interest in art on a professional level, Evelia enrolled at Abugaber’s Art Academy in Mexico City. There she studied under Master Roberto, a professional artist and a San Carlos National School of Plastic Arts alumnae. While studying with Master Roberto, Evelia began teaching the SEP Special Education Assistants and Teachers the importance of artistic development in children. Her material incorporated oil, watercolor, soft pastel, mixed media and acrylic techniques which focused on using art as a tool of expression for children with special needs. Based on the success of her artistic educational material, Evelia was chosen to participate in the “Rincones de la Pintura” program where she developed the primary school curriculum for all Mexican schools.
Since I arrived in Canada, I set up my own studio in the Tri-Cities. And I got my Certificate at Emily CarrUniversity in Fine Art, Advance Certification in Painting and Advance Certification in Drawing. I have been a part of the Coquitlam community more than 18 years. My tendency was to paint picturesque old Mexican towns with stone streets and houses made of sun-dried brick with terracotta roof tiles. Then, I painted Surrealism Dreams with mixed media.
For the summers of 2022 to 2020 I’ve been a member of “Artists in the Park” held by Port Moody’s Center of the Arts. The program is intended to enhance a visit to the park through the presence of artists at work. It is an opportunity for artists to display, sell and paint in Port Moody parks. Also, I have been a active member from Federation of Canadian Artist and Port Moody Art Association.
- Port Moody Art Association (2006-2022)
- Federation of Canadian Artists (2007-2022)
- ArtsConnect (2007-2015)
- Art Focus Artists’ Association (2008-2012)
- Gathering Place and Outlet by Art Focus.(2009 and 2010)
- Art Focus at Leigh Square community Arts Village.(2009 to 2011)
- Port Coquitlam City Hall(2009 to 2020)
- Terry Fox Library (2008 to 2011)
- Port Moody Safe Building Police Department.(2009 to 2014)
- Coquitlam Public Library – Organizer for my students. (2007 to 2010)
- Eagle Ridge Hospital.(2008 to 2020)
- Children’s Art Festival – Port Moody Civic Centre Gallery – Organizer.(2007 to 2020)
- TreeFest – Artsconnect – Riverview Hospital.(2007 to 2014)
- Port Moody Art Association Show. (2007 to 2020)
- Artist in the Park – Port Moody’s Center of the Arts (2006-2020)
- Federation of Canadian Artists (2007 to 2020)
- Mexico Arte – Kitsilano, Vancouver, B.C. (2006 to 2010).
- Terry Fox Library(2009)
- Coquitlam Public Library.(2007 to 2009)
- 2017 Tri-Cities News, August 23/ Feel the Colour
- 2017 Tri-Cities News, June 8/10 Years of the Children’s Art Festival
- 2012 Tri-Cities News, June10/Children’s art show
- 2011 Tri-Cities News, June 15 / Children show off their talent at art fest
- 2011 Tri-Cities News, June 17 / Kid’s art show in Port Moody
- 2010 Tri-Cities News, June 10, 15 ,19 / Four Children’s art festival sponsored by Church’s Chicken
- 2009 Tri-Cities News, June 17 / Third year for kid’s art fest.
- 2008 Tri-Cities News, September 19 / Art Expo at the Treefest at Riverview Hospital.
- 2008 Tri-Cities News, June 18 / Little artists big on talent, dedication.
- 2007 Tri-Cities News, September 23 / Art Expo at the Treefest at Riverview Hospital.
- 2007 Tri-Cities News, June 13 / Mexico is influence in teacher’s painting.
- 2007 The Now June, 22 / Local kids featured at festival.
- 2010 Tri-Cities News, June 11/Children’s Art Festival
- 2010 Emily Carr University / Business plan.
- 2002 Ministry of Education of Mexico / Children Paintings.
- 2001 Ministry of Education of Mexico / Painting for disabled children.
- 2000 Ministry of Education of Mexico. / Teaching Teachers to paint.
- 2022 Ceramics
- 2019 Emily Carr University (Vancouver, B.C.) / Advance Certification in Illustration
- 2015 Emily Carr University (Vancouver, B.C.) / Advance Certification in Drawing
- 2012 Emily Carr University (Vancouver, B.C.) / Advance Certification in Painting
- 2010 Emily Carr University (Vancouver, B.C.) / Certification in Fine Arts
- 2000 Art Academy Abugaber (Mexico City) / Fine Arts
- 1997 Chapultepec University (Mexico City) / MBA
- 1992 Pedagogic Nacional University (Mexico City) / Pedagogy
- 1987 Ignacio Manuel Altamirano Teacher’s School / Teacher
Contact my Port Moody Art Classes today and get your child started on a journey that can shape their lives forever.